Friday, June 20, 2008

My Garden Kicks Ass

"Well, there's nothin' in the world that I like better than bacon and lettuce and homegrown tomatoes. . . " 

Guy Clark should stop on by next time he's in Spicewood for some of the finest homegrown tomatoes he can get his hands on! Check 'em out:


Looks so yummy, eh? Well, let me tell you. . . I am so full of tomatoes right now I can't see straight! And looking forward to more. Zeke has worked so hard to restore the squash, but that dang bug may have been the end of 'em. Not to worry, though. . . he re-planted about ten times more than the ginormous batch we had already planted, so we will be up to our buckets in squash by the end of summer!

The cucumbers are doing fine, with a few ready for picking. The corn is on the grow, and Boy-o loves to hide in it a la "Secondhand Lions." Poor little peas, barely hanging in there. The watermelon should be taking off even more in the weeks to come - and I can't wait! Oh, and I can't forget the peppers. . . 


Sitting here typing about my garden reminds me of my Papa James. We lived pretty far away from him as kids, so we weren't exactly "close" until I went to college and got an e-mail address at about the same time Papa did. He used to write me letters about his okra and his doctor visits - no kidding! I loved it. Always entertaining, to say the least, and great to be in touch with family.

No comments: