Monday, June 23, 2008

Children of the Corn

Let's face it - kids are messy. So, when my nieces came to visit this past weekend, I wasn't really surprised when my house got turned upside down (including an entire family-sized bag of Cheetos on the living room floor!). The destruction of several small (insignificant) Christmas decorations they had found didn't faze me at all. I didn't even bat an eye when DZ and I discovered a blanket that had been peed on and stashed away (must have been from the excitement - they're both potty trained).

What did surprise me, however, was when we turned back the covers to go to bed that night, we discovered CORN in our sheets. Popcorn, kernels from corn on the cob, corn chips - basically every kind of corn we had consumed that weekend, along with a tiny ketchup stain (ironically, made from high fructose corn syrup - more corn!) in the corner. How did this happen!?!?!?!

Now, big messes and little children aside, I must say that we had a great weekend. DZ's family (everybody but his dad) came in for the weekend, and we laughed, played, splashed, ate, laughed some more and just had a grand ol' time. The little ones had never been swimming in a lake before, and they were amazed that we would actually allow them to swim in "fish water." I think everybody had a good time, and now that they know the way, maybe they'll come back and visit some time soon!

PS - DZ's mom finally knows we're married, by the way!

No comments: